MRI areas

(1/2) > >>

Peter Wilkinson:
Whilst browsing through the Spring 05 issue of Fire Protection Engineering (the SFPE magazine) I saw an advert for novel portable fire extinguisher.  It uses the non-electrically conductive FE-36 firefighting agent, but, more importantly, the stainless steel shell is stated as being completely non-magnetic, and therefore suitable for use in MRI scanner rooms and the like.

Has anyone used/specifed these in the UK?  Has anyone thought 'I wish I could put a fire extinguisher in there' when doing a fire risk assessment of an MRI suite?

Peter Wilkinson:
Is that a NO then?

AnthonyB:
Several people do MRI compatible extinguishers now, mostly of the CO2 type - Chubb are one example springing to mind

terry:
Now we are getting to interesting ground.

When you go into an MRI room, how do you know if it is safe for you personally  to come into contact with the static magnetic field of the machine? notably the five gauss line?

Are any of you fire guys fitted with pacemakers, have any metal bits in your eyes, or shrapnel in you body?

Why not increase fire protection of the walls to two hours say and use pyroc glass to the examination room window, shut the mains power off in the equipment room and shut the examination room door, letting the fire burn itself out?

I hope I have started another thread here.

Terry

Chris Houston:
Quote from: terry

Now we are getting to interesting ground.

When you go into an MRI room, how do you know if it is safe for you personally  to come into contact with the static magnetic field of the machine? notably the five gauss line?

Are any of you fire guys fitted with pacemakers, have any metal bits in your eyes, or shrapnel in you body?

Why not increase fire protection of the walls to two hours say and use pyroc glass to the examination room window, shut the mains power off in the equipment room and shut the examination room door, letting the fire burn itself out?

I hope I have started another thread here.

Terry

I've been in plenty environments with dangerous magnetic fields other than MRI rooms.  Most of which contained equipment worth in excess of 500,000.  Most of which were not in modern buildings with good compartmentation, most of which I would be unhappy if I heard people would let a waste paper basket fire grow to engulf the entire room.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page